Introduction to the Problem
If you are a proud owner of a Whirlpool refrigerator, you know how essential this appliance is in keeping your food and drinks cool and fresh. However, if you start experiencing issues with the cooling, it can be a cause for concern. One of the most common problems that users report is a Whirlpool fridge not cooling. This can lead to spoiled food and drinks and can be a massive inconvenience for households. In this post, we will go through some tips on fixing the issue and explore some alternatives if those tips don't work.
Tips on How to Fix Whirlpool Refrigerator Not Cooling
- Clean the condenser coils: Located at the back or bottom of the fridge, dirt and dust can accumulate on the coils, affecting the cooling system. Unplug the fridge and use a brush or vacuum cleaner to remove the dirt.
- Check and replace the condenser fan motor: The fan motor helps cool the compressor and condenser coils. If it is not working correctly, the fridge won't cool. Listen for any odd noises coming from the fan motor, and if needed, replace it.
- Defrost the evaporator coils: The evaporator coils are responsible for removing heat from the fridge. If they get frosted over, the cooling system won't work effectively. Unplug the fridge, remove any food or shelves blocking the evaporator fan, and leave it to defrost for several hours.
- Check and replace the evaporator fan motor: The evaporator fan circulates the cold air to keep the fridge cool. If it is not running, the fridge won't be able to cool. Listen for any odd noises coming from the fan and replace if needed.
- Replace the start relay or overload protector: These parts help start the compressor. If they are not working, the compressor won't start, and the fridge won't cool. These parts are located behind the fridge, either on the compressor or on the side of it.
- Check the thermostat: If the thermostat is faulty, it may not signal the compressor to start. Check with a multimeter to make sure it's working. If it's not, replace the thermostat.
Alternatives if Tips Don't Work
If the above tips don't work or you are uncomfortable performing these repairs, there are alternatives you can explore:
- Replace the compressor: The compressor is responsible for pumping refrigerant through the coils, and if it's not working, the fridge won't cool. This is a complicated and expensive repair that should be done by a professional.
- Call for professional service: If none of the above tips work, it might be time to call a professional appliance repair service. They will be able to diagnose the problem and recommend the best course of action.
Related: Kenmore Ice Maker not filling with water? Here's what you need to know!
What causes a Whirlpool refrigerator to stop cooling?
A few common reasons include dirty condenser coils, a malfunctioning condenser fan motor, defrost issues, faulty evaporator fan motor, and a damaged start relay or overload protector.
Can I clean the condenser coils on my own?
Yes, you can clean the condenser coils using a soft-bristled brush or a vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment.
How often should I defrost my Whirlpool refrigerator?
It depends on how often you use your fridge and the level of moisture in your kitchen. However, as a general rule, you should defrost your refrigerator every six months.
How can I tell if my thermostat is malfunctioning?
Some signs that your thermostat may be faulty include fluctuating temperatures, the inability to maintain a consistent temperature, and spoiled food.
What are the symptoms of a damaged compressor?
Common symptoms include a buzzing or clicking sound, uneven cooling, and warm temperatures inside the fridge.
Should I replace the fridge if the compressor is damaged?
It depends on how old the refrigerator is and how much the repair would cost. If the fridge is relatively new and the repair is affordable, you may want to replace only the compressor.
Can I replace the fan motors on my own?
It's possible, but it may require some technical skills and the right tools. If you're not confident in your abilities, it's best to call a professional service.
How long does a Whirlpool refrigerator last?
With proper maintenance, a Whirlpool refrigerator can last up to 20 years or more.
What is the best temperature to set my Whirlpool refrigerator?
The ideal temperature for a Whirlpool refrigerator is between 35 and 38 degrees Fahrenheit.
When should I call for professional service?
If you've tried all the DIY fixes and your Whirlpool refrigerator is still not cooling, it's time to call for professional repair service. Additionally, if your fridge is still under warranty, it's best to contact the manufacturer directly.
Mary had always been a planner. When she decided to redo the kitchen, she looked at all the options available and chose the perfect new appliances. But a few months later, she noticed something odd. Food kept spoiling before the expiration date, and everything in the refrigerator smelled strange. Even the drinks weren't as cold anymore.
It became frustrating, and Mary, who was usually calm and collected, grew more agitated with every passing day. She double-checked the temperatures, cleaned the fridge, and searched online for answers. Nothing seemed to help. The problem grew so severe that she started to look for alternatives. She found herself considering buying a new refrigerator altogether, which would be a costly expense.
But then, she stumbled upon a blog post that explained the various reasons why a Whirlpool refrigerator might not be cooling. She tried a few of the tips, and to her surprise, the fridge started cooling again. It was a small victory, but Mary felt triumphant.
Several months later, the problem came up again. But this time, Mary wasn't thrown off her game. She found the old blog post and followed it to the letter. The refrigerator was soon cooling perfectly again, and she felt overjoyed at having resolved the problem once more.
From then on, Mary knew she didn't need to panic whenever something went wrong with her refrigerator. She had confidence that she could handle the issue and keep it working without expensive repairs or a full-on replacement.
Based on: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whirlpool_Corporation
A Whirlpool refrigerator not cooling can be frustrating and inconvenient for households. However, there are several tips that you can try to fix the issue, such as cleaning the condenser coils and replacing faulty parts like the fan motors, start relay, or thermostat. If these tips don't work, it might be time to consider replacing the compressor or calling a professional repair service.
To maintain your Whirlpool refrigerator, it's essential to keep the condenser coils clean, avoid overloading the fridge, and periodically check the temperature settings. By following these tips, you can help prolong the life of your fridge and ensure it's working efficiently to keep your food and drinks fresh and cool.